It's Monday so it is time for another Independence Days update, although once again it's been a quiet week with lots of time spent outside soaking up the sun, or out and about...
Read more about why I am participating in Sharon's Independence Days Challenge, here.
* More potatoes (in bags, as an experiment), sprouting onions x 5.
* Snow peas, the last of the starfruit (meep), mushrooms, red mustard, dill, rocket, thyme, parsley, chives, oregano, mint, cress.
* Ginger and lemon marmalade, dried ginger in the dehydrator (to be powdered later), lemon juice, lemon cordial, rocket (arugula) and walnut pesto.
Waste not /Reduce waste:
* Made a pencil & notebook roll for my daughter's birthday & started on her birthday crown and bunting;
* Planted out the onions which started sprouting in my pantry;
* Made muesli, hummus and dishwasher detergent;
* Started embroidering a draw-string calico bag to store my mushrooms in in the fridge, instead of brown paper bags which only last as few weeks.
Want Not/ Preparation:
* Bought up next year's good quality winter clothes for my eldest daughter at the end of winter sales (the rest will be second hand);
* Found more large (10L) storage containers;
* Sorted through my seeds to check expiry dates and what can be planted or sowed this month (according to the Aussie Gardenate website).
Eat the Food:
* Lots of rocket (arugula) pesto, fresh herbs & lemon cordial.
* Started a batch of ginger "shrub". Sarah commented about her discovery of "shrub" - or vinegar cordials - on one of Sharon's last IDC updates. Intrigued, I Googled them and discovered a terrific recipe for ginger shrub. It's still sitting and waiting for me today, but I'll report back on it next week.
* Nil, if you don't count blogging.
Learned a New Skill
* Making "shrubs" or vinegar cordials.